Friday, July 31, 2009

SANTORINI

One word: heaven. Absolute heaven!

Hanna and I arrived in Santorini at about 3:30, and we got picked up by a shuttle from our house--yes, HOUSE! Since I was in charge of booking the accommodation for Santorini, I of course went for the traditional houses for rent!!--at around 4 because of a miscommunication on our arrival time. No biggie :) So we were in the van, chatting with the manager, Maria, who was really, really nice, when the van stopped in a dirt parking lot, overlooking the ugly side of Santorini, and I totally freaked out!! In my head I was like "crap, crap crap!!!! The girls are going to kill me!" but we dutifully followed Maria and the driver towards some steps, and when we reached the top, I think both of us gasped with amazement! We were overlooking the Santorini you see in postcards, with the white buildings and ocean view. It was breathtaking, and I'll never forget it my whole life! When we got to our house, and after Maria left, Hanna and I literally started jumping up and down and screaming because we were SO excited: our house was quaint and so cute, with its own kitchen and washing machine, and pool and patio with pool chairs! So of course as soon as we put our stuff down we changed into our swimsuits and headed to the patio to lie out. Ah, it was so nice, honestly like a vacation for our vacation! After getting some sun and watching the beautiful and famous Santorini sunset (during which time we shared a bottle of awful Greek red wine, but also saw a wedding!!!!!), we climbed into our bathtub and soaked and chatted for awhile since we were waiting for Sarah and Saaya to get in before heading to dinner! We got out of the tub at around 9:30 PM, at which point we were getting a little worried because the girls were supposed to get in at like 8, so we called Maria and she told us that the girls had called her telling her that they had missed their flight and wouldn't be in till the next morning!!

So Hanna and I, starved and famished at this point, headed into Firostefani (where we were staying, a suburb of Fira, the main city of Santorini) for a traditional Greek dinner at a place called Aktaion. SO yummy! We split pork with rice and mousaka, a traditional Greek dish made like a lasagna out of potato, eggplant, cheese, and ground pork. SOOOOOOO DELICIOUS!! We also got a free shot of Mextaca (I think?), which is like Greek rum at the end of our meal. We walked around Firostefani for a little but it was chilly so we went back for an early night.

The next day, bright and early, we heard Sarah and Saaya get in while we were half asleep at like 7 AM. We all slept till about 10, when we woke up for breakfast, which Maria brought down for us to our patio table. We ate with a gorgeous view in the background, and afterwards we just hung out by our pool all day, tanning and swimming and listening to music :) It was so relaxing! We went to Aktaion again for dinner, but afterwards, since it was Sarah's last night and she loves to party, we went into Fira and went to some dance clubs! We met these really weird guys, one who danced like he was a hamster on crack, and Hanna and I just laughed and laughed at him! When we tried to imitate his moves, though, he shook his head at us and basically told us we sucked. Haha!

We started the next day pretty much same as the last, breakfast at our table, tanning in the patio, but then we wanted to check out the beaches of Santorini, Perivolos, a suggestion from Maria. It took a 20 minute cab ride to get there, but it was worth it! It was a black sand beach, so it was really hot on our feet, but the water was soooooooo beautiful and perfect temperature! Also it was REALLY salty, so I was able to float! :) It was kind of hard finding a cab back to Firostefani, but we finally got one like 30 minutes after we started looking for one (we had to ask a bartender to call a cab for us!) and headed home. But this was again, a very interesting cab ride for me sitting in the passenger seat! One, he stopped for gas... this had never happened to me in a cab before... haha! Two, I started falling asleep and he (an old man) thought he was being funny when he said if I wanted to sleep there I had to pay him 200 Euro and I laughed nervously and tried not to fall asleep :) we got back to the house and watched the sunset and then Sarah had to pack and then leave for the airport!! :(:(:( Hanna, Saaya, and I spent the rest of the evening sitting at our table chatting. For dinner we got 2 Euro gyros from a little place we found in Firostefani that we fell in love with! We watched National Geographic and Animal Planet the rest of the night before we all fell asleep.

The next day, the three of us had our usual breakfast before Hanna had to get ready and leave as well for the airport :( After our goodbyes Saaya and I got into our swimsuits and tanned one last time :( in the afternoon we decided to head to Fira to check out the souvenir shopping and the main city we had only seen in the dark. We got some souvenirs and got a very filling dinner in Fira before we headed back to the house to pack our things and head to the airport. Our flight back to Athens was fairly short and sweet, nothing too bad, but then we spent a VERY LONG NIGHT in the airport, we actually slept on the floor, ughh!! It was awful to say the least... but then we hopped on the plane at 7 AM and headed back to Paris :)

No comments:

Post a Comment