Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Things I miss about America V.1

*note: I realize the "version 1" may seem unnecessary now, but I foresee many more of these posts, so I also foresee the need to make this the official first one, because you know, it could get confusing later if this is just blank, then it's like "should I make the next one 1? since the last one was technically 0? or should this one be 2?" so, to avoid all confusion later, V.1 it is.

I realize it may seem to a lot of you that I've "only" been out of the country for two months, but there are a lot of things I very quickly realized that I miss about the USA. Some of these things I took for granted, most of them not. Most of them I really loved back then and I really wish I had now. So, yes, all you people back in America, feel free to laugh with pleasure at my misery.

1. SEXY LEXY
Ah, my sexy Lexy. I always (lovingly) called her a BIG GIRL, which she is, but oh, how I miss her sleek black body (with the occasional scratch here and there, and the BIG scratch thanks to Mom), worn leather interior, and even the Yosemite license plate. Such good memories in my very first car!! But not only for that reason... I miss driving. I mean, the MRT and the busses are impressively organized and clean and on-time (sadly this still does not guarantee my own punctuality... since even if they run on time, I tend not to...), but try as I might to replicate the joy of blasting music in my car, dancing to my iPod in public just somehow isn't the same.

2. T-Bell, Chipotle, and Mexican food in general
Every time I think about a chicken chalupa, cinnamon twisties, lime&salt tortilla chips, and/or a chicken burrito (or burrito bowl) with rice, a little bit if pinto beans, mild salsa, lettuce and guacamole I'm pretty sure I start to drool and even hallucinate a little. It drives me crazy. Asian people don't like cheese, it's the weirdest thing in the WORLD. My friend Lu said today that cheese to Westerners is like tofu to the Asians: we have so many different kinds! hahaaa I had "nachos" today--it was Nacho Cheese Doritos w/ nacho cheese & salsa. Actually, though to be honest, not half bad. Bottom line, it literally kills me a little inside that I won't be tasting the aforementioned items for another 10 months.

3. Good TV
Chinese TV is WHACK. There are approximately 15 channels that like only show news. Seriously. They just replay the same news throughout the day with minor, minor updates. For example: actually, I can't really think of a good example since I actually don't really watch the news...... yeahhh.... I probably should. My grandparents in LA love to watch it, I don't understand how they don't get even a LITTLE tired of it by like 6 PM.
Other than the news, game shows are really popular here, but not like Jeopardy or the Price is Right, they're do weird and crazy things and there's always an audience of all Asian people. haha again, I would love to tell you about it, but I never stay on the channel long enough to watch. Although I did watch one where a bunch of girls made up their own dances to Rihanna songs, and it was terrible. One *cringe* moment after another...

4. Normal fashion
Asian girls LOVE their bows. Bows on everything: belts, dresses, shirts, purses, scarves, earrings--it's like bow overload over here. and not just little discreet cute bows but BIG FREAKING BOWS that are all up in your face. Continuing on this theme, the super girly stuff is really in: kind of like shabby chic, with like lace and pearls and plaid and little flowers everywhere. I love shabby chic, but mostly for my bedding, not covering every inch of my body.
Also, girls here are of two extremes: really slutty or really nerdy. I've seen multiple girls wearing "long shirts" or "short dresses" (your pick) to the point where you look at them and you think "oh my GOD....." but then you'll see the TINIEST sliver of denim or something under it, as if it's ok to wear something that scandalous as long as there's something (even if it's close to nonexistent as well) under there. haha

5. MY BLACKBERRY
This should probably actually be numero uno because for some reason I've had the worst luck with phones here, it's not even funny. First I lost my Dad's company blackberry (good going) when I accidentally left it in a cab one night. Then, my uncle gave me a PDA phone to use till my Dad gets here in November to give me another phone, and... let me just say I hate PDAs. It's also got Windows technology........ hey, I'm just saying...
It freezes all the time, and now it has decided to just turn off on it's own, at it's own will. And sometimes it will turn back on, and sometimes it won't. When it turns off I literally have to baby talk it and like wish with every part of my body that it will turn back on, for example: "please baby, please turn back on, you can do it, please please pleasee turn back on!!" I. *love*. it. It has a little pen thingy you know, like all PDAs do, and it's just so freaking annoying. My question is, why would a phone that has a touch screen (like a PDA for example) NOT have a button that allows you to lock the damn screen?!?!!?
I'm. just. saying. I miss my crackberry, with my stretchy green cover. My fingers itch for it, and I would probably do anything to get BBM back. Oh, and brickbreaker of course.

6. gyms
Gyms here are so expensive it's ridiculous. Apparently Asian people don't like working out (my lack of exercise/laziness: oh so that explains it.) because gyms here are like close to $40 USD per month!! In the states I was paying like $12 a month for 24 hr fitness. So I've been running around the courtyard of my apartment complex (when I say I've been running, it really means it's happened twice so far. tonight being one of the two. haha) which is REALLY AWESOME because apparently mosquitoes are attracted to sweat--yeah, did you know that? Bet you didn't. So you can bet every time (both times) I'm done working out I acquire new, very itchy bug bites. LOVE IT! Also, a lot of people like to walk around the courtyard at night, but very few actually break into anything faster than a stroll, so you can imagine the thoughts going through people's minds when they see me panting for air, running in circles... I really miss the big bouncy balls. And elliptical machines. And mats.

And of course, last but not least (on this list):
7. MY PEEPS
My friends and family, I miss you guys so so so so so so so much!!! There's obviously no replacement for you guys here!!! xoxoxoxxxxx

1 comment:

  1. i definitely missed all the same things while i was there. BUT... 12 dollars for 24 hour? are you f-in' serious! i think i'm getting ripped off.

    ReplyDelete