Wednesday, October 28, 2009

It's Only Wednesday!!!

Wow, this is definitely the longest week I've ever had (since being in Taipei)!!!

Not only is this Halloween week (which means I have to be creative and find a costume...) but I also had TOP tests this week (see below) AND the USC Global Conference is this week!!!

To be honest, Halloween is not a big deal in Taipei (did you see that one coming??). However, since I am a foreigner, I am still allowed to get excited about these things. Since this holiday isn't that big here, there are only a few places to *rent* (yes, rent) Halloween costumes. Now, you may think this is really gross and unsanitary (like myself) but Taiwanese people apparently don't mind sharing (everything) at all... but can you believe it, it was like $60US (which is like $2,000NT... to give you a point of comparison, I can get a full meal, and be full off of about $50NT)!!!

TOP tests are like standardized tests to gage your level of Chinese fluency. The test was given over three sessions on three separate days: listening/reading, speaking, and writing. The listening/reading was easy, the speaking harder than I thought (they asked what kind of animal I'd be and why... I don't even know how to answer that in English!!!), and the writing was OK... It wasn't a big deal until this morning when I had to get to school at 8:10 to take the two-hour writing test. Yuck. But now it's over (thank God) and I'll get my results (hopefully) soon!

The USC Global Conference--ahhh!! So excited! I'm helping out behind the scenes of the USCGC, which is being held in Taipei this year! Basically it's a bunch of lectures by USC professors and Taiwanese professionals on a variety of hot topics--business in Asia, business's affect on the environment, etc. and a great opportunity to meet people! All fine and dandy till they told me I have to wear a suit tomorrow... and I, the genius that I am, left ALL my business clothes at home in Saratoga. GENIUS.

So anyway, since it's the longest week of my life, I'm missing all my friends from back home!!! Here are a couple reasons why:

From Saaya, sent at 1 PM:
dear jessica li,

please send me some hotpot. weekly is preferred, but bi-monthly is also acceptable. i trust that your asian-ness will allow you to figure out the logistics of sending warm liquids in the mail in record time.

k great thanks bye.

oh ps. and some 小龍包 too. 一,二,三!

My reply, sent at 6 PM:
dear miss sorrells-weatherford,

unfortunately, no amount of "asian-ness" will permit me to send you liquids (hot, warm, cool, or room temperature) through the mail. i'm afraid if i attempt such a dangerous act i will be attacked by all four corners by little taiwanese men--i mean police guards--and subsequently put into a taiwanese jail. neither of which sound remotely appealing to me. looks like you'll have to fly over here if you want some real (did i mention all-you-can-eat?) hotpot. oh, and 小龍包. which, by the way, are delicious.

ps: GET YOUR HARAJYUKU BUTT OVER HERE!!!

yours affectionately,
jessica li

From Saaya, sent at 7 PM:
dear ms. li,

i guess i have no choice but to go to taiwan to enjoy the hot-potness and 小龍包. *sigh* while my wallet may not enjoy this new arrangement, no doubt my stomach and general well-being* will enjoy this very much. let me peruse my incredibly packed calender (ie see which ten days out of the month i am working) and perhaps convince my parents that this would be a phenomenal... late halloween present.

*excluding my waistline. i have no doubt this area will be unhappy with me. but TOTALLY WORTH IT.

Miss you Saaya Baaya!!

Haha... remember this???
(Just chugged a LITER of water to not waste my water and get through security, only to realize we had to wait 30 minutes to board the plane anyway...)

No comments:

Post a Comment