I usually look forward to packing, because I get excited about choosing the outfits I'm going to wear wherever I'm going, you know, "This is the perfect outfit for Paris!" and then I picture myself walking around Paris in said outfit. But this time I had decided to confine myself to carry-ons only, because of my bad luck with lost luggage (I still have a personal vendetta against Hawaiian Airlines) and hectic traveling schedule.
So: one duffel bag and one backpack. The idea of it is frightening... horrifying. 5 weeks out of carry-on-sized luggage??? What am I doing to myself, self-inflicted torture? It's like packing for boot camp in some remote place where all you need is clean underwear and a toothbrush. Except I won't be going to a remote place, I'm going to some of the most beautiful places on Earth. And instead of looking uber-cute (as I had of course planned on) I will probably look like one of the gypsies that steal money from tourists: dirty. Well... plus side: maybe they won't steal from me if they think I'm one of them. On second thought, doubtful, I'll just look like a dirty tourist.
Naturally, that plan went out the window after I literally sat in front of each piece of clothing and stared at it trying to decide just how badly I wanted to lug it all over Europe, and still couldn't bring myself to leave some things behind. I even brought Sam into my room to help me in the final elimination, but for every piece she vetoed, I defended its importance and insisted on keeping in the "take with me" pile. FAIL.
So, now I've cooked up a new master plan. I'm checking in a small-ish, medium-ish (depends on who you ask, these things are all relative) rolly suitcase filled with only liquids and 2nd string clothes (aka things I can't carry on), and then carrying on all my 1st string clothes and shoes.
Guaranteed success, I love it. The only thing is, now that I have more room, the "take with me" pile is getting bigger. Again.
Oy, back to work...
o i knew you'd have to break into checking something- 5 weeks in Europe! plus you'll want roo m for things you buy! i love the 1st string and 2nd string clothes-- as if you have a football team of clothes to defend you or make great passes lol
ReplyDeletelove ya girl,
Niki