It's not that I didn't know this before, but in the uncertainty of graduation, the subsequent scattering of all my friends around the world suddenly seemed like the pink elephant in the room that nobody wanted to talk about. Keeping in touch somehow seemed so impossible, so I quietly accepted that all the friends I'd accumulated in my four years at college would become memories. Looking ahead to my year abroad, I started to wonder what the point of it all was, if I was only going to be leaving again, with another set of friendships left behind...
I know, a very depressing thought.
But I got a phone call today that reminded me of just why it's important to make friends, and why it's even more important to keep them. Because in making new friends you leave the door open to meet those people who will always stay in your life, and who will make you feel like you've never left each other at all.
Friends are easy to find, but hard to keep. Like I learned from my encounter with public transportation, there's always some obstacle that will present itself and keep you from staying in touch. But friendship surprises you, and you learn this just when you begin to lose faith. And after a conversation over coffee, or canadian ham and bacon, or on the phone, or on gmail chat, you remember why you became friends in the first place, and how lucky you are to have them.
Mom always says great friendships are those that leave you feeling refreshed and fulfilled. This post is dedicated to all my friends who've kept up with me, who've been there for me, and who've always been great friends to me. And especially to Aileen, Maggie, and Niki for being the first to read & comment on my blog, it really means a lot, I love you guys!!! :)
hooray!! i love youu :)
ReplyDelete